Subscribe iStudy


UK Working Visas - What You Need to Know

Posted: 18th April 2016 08:35

Visas are complicated.  Every country has a different set of working visas with different rules and regulations.  If you want to work aboard, the visa is the most important detail to consider before you pack your bags and tell your friends and family about your new life overseas in America, Australia or Europe.   With so much information about visas clouding your head it’s easy to get lost but don’t panic we’re here to help!

America may be strict about allowing foreigners into the country but provided you don’t have a criminal record and are planning to work or have a job offer you’ll more than likely qualify.  You can stay in America on a visitor’s visa for a few months and look for work but you’ll eventually need to apply for a ‘greencard’ to stay in the country.  If you have a job offer waiting for you in the states, your current company can transfer you or if you have family in the US, you visa will be granted to you with a lot less hassle than if you are considering  other options.  If you are born in Ireland however you can apply via ‘normal’ circumstances and your chances increase. 

Emigrating to Australia and New Zealand is easier than you think.  Nurses automatically receive high priority for a working visa; those available include visas for pre-arranged jobs and general skilled migration visas.  The general skilled visa is perfect for graduates; you must be under 45 and be eligible for a profession listed in a long inventory of jobs including lawyers, surveyors, health administrators and radio technicians (to name a few).  The visa method down under works as points system, a bachelor degree earns you 15 points but a doctorate degree will give you 20.  Your work experience and age will also be determined by this. 

To get your hands on a Hong Kong work visa you need to fulfil specific criteria.  You must obtain a work offer from a company in the country before you leave.  If you find work whilst on tourist visa you will have to leave and then re-enter Hong Kong to activate your work visa.  The basic guidelines are that you are required to have degree, have relevant experience in the position you’re applying for and you must agree to contribute to the local economy.  Hong Kong may come across as stubborn but thankfully more applicants are accepted rather than denied.  Luckily, if you are looking to work in European EEA countries such as Spain, Greece, Austria, Sweden, Italy, and France, amongst others, allow you to work freely without a visa but on a workers agreement permit instead providing you agree to the same conditions as the countries citizens. 

Applying for a visa can be a lengthy process but providing you give all the correct information and documents it’ll be a breeze.  Firstly, decide what type of visa you’ll need and qualify for.  You can do all this online, making the visa application easier.  With each via tailored for different countries and lifestyles make sure you read through the guidelines carefully.  Once you’ve figured out the best one for you, we recommend you get yourself an immigration lawyer who can help you through the process and argue your case.  If you win, you’ll be granted your visa and are eligible to work aboard.  Depending on the country, you’ll have to renew your visa every couple of years so make this a priority, you don’t want to be extradited out of the country after all.   

To find out more information about visas and to apply for a Canadian, Australia or American visa visit here.   

Subscribe to our newsletter

Sign up here and get the latest news and updates delivered directly to your inbox

You can unsubscribe at any time